FaceBook

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Topics / Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Author Topic: Super Crackers!  (Read 327 times)

Offline patdart

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2000
Super Crackers!
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:14:11 PM »
Many of us want good crackers that won't kill us and I have one recipe that is unbeatable...given to me by a diabetic friend some years ago.  I converted it for U.S. measurements  and use it often.  I had made it just before C'mas with some Barefoot Boursin Cheese for drop in guests and then ended up being gone for 3 months as my foot healed and just now discovered them in the 'fridge and realized that I had not shared on here.  Thankfully they were plain ones so I crumbled them and put a touch of vanilla Toriani syrup on them and whipping cream and stirred..  It was a delicious bowl of 'cereal' for supper.  I usually use walnuts, but was out of them.

Here is the recipe:

4 oz almond meal (3/4 c. almond flour)
7 oz sesame seeds (1c. sesame seed)
2 oz flaxseed (3/4 c. flax seed)
1/2 t. salt
2 soup spoons of Psyllium Hulls ( 2 T.)
2 c. water

Bake at 325 degrees....etc.

I mix all ingredients until ready to spread.  I let sit for 5 minutes first and then spread using an old pizza spreader on 2 baking pans and mark as 1 " squares and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes and turn and finish baking another 10 or more until crisp.  I bake them on Silpat pads and then break them up to cool.  When cool i store them in a sealed container until use.  Tonight I just crumbled them for cereal.  I rarely have enough to eat that way.  Mine are thin but if thicker or larger bake longer.

I love these and have added mainly savory herbs to them, but sometimes make them plain if I plan to serve them with savory cheese toppings.  A couple of friends also like them with sweet tastes and add sweet flavorings to them.  Luckily I had just the plain ones.  It was great.  They stay crisp and good for months as I just proved.  Oh, I added some sliced almonds but usually add walnuts but was out of them tonight.

Enjoy!

Offline starsign

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Partner of T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2016
Re: Super Crackers!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 03:27:10 AM »
Patdart,

Thanks. I will surely be trying this.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Offline Grammabear

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 1
  • Diagnosis Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
Many of us want good crackers that won't kill us and I have one recipe that is unbeatable...given to me by a diabetic friend some years ago.  I converted it for U.S. measurements  and use it often.  I had made it just before C'mas with some Barefoot Boursin Cheese for drop in guests and then ended up being gone for 3 months as my foot healed and just now discovered them in the 'fridge and realized that I had not shared on here.  Thankfully they were plain ones so I crumbled them and put a touch of vanilla Toriani syrup on them and whipping cream and stirred..  It was a delicious bowl of 'cereal' for supper.  I usually use walnuts, but was out of them.

Here is the recipe:

4 oz almond meal (3/4 c. almond flour)
7 oz sesame seeds (1c. sesame seed)
2 oz flaxseed (3/4 c. flax seed)
1/2 t. salt
2 soup spoons of Psyllium Hulls ( 2 T.)
2 c. water

Bake at 325 degrees....etc.

I mix all ingredients until ready to spread.  I let sit for 5 minutes first and then spread using an old pizza spreader on 2 baking pans and mark as 1 " squares and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes and turn and finish baking another 10 or more until crisp.  I bake them on Silpat pads and then break them up to cool.  When cool i store them in a sealed container until use.  Tonight I just crumbled them for cereal.  I rarely have enough to eat that way.  Mine are thin but if thicker or larger bake longer.

I love these and have added mainly savory herbs to them, but sometimes make them plain if I plan to serve them with savory cheese toppings.  A couple of friends also like them with sweet tastes and add sweet flavorings to them.  Luckily I had just the plain ones.  It was great.  They stay crisp and good for months as I just proved.  Oh, I added some sliced almonds but usually add walnuts but was out of them tonight.

Enjoy!

What is the best way to store these crackers to maintain their crispness?  Sometimes when I store homemade things in a Tupperware type container, they get soft instead of staying crispy.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.4% - June 2017
"Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing.".....Voltaire

Offline Kelly

• BG Tracker
  • Diagnosis Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
So glad I saw this before I left to go shopping.  These look great!! Adding more items to my list!

Offline patdart

• BG Tracker
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »
Grammabear, I store mine in a flat plastic box similar to Tupperware after they are fully cool...usually a day after being baked...and have never had them be other than crisp.  Thankfully, they were in the 'fridge while I was in rehab for 3 months and did beautifully.  I've given them to friends in quart sized zip-lock bags with a twisty.  They don't tend to last that long in my house!  :)

Offline patdart

• BG Tracker
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »
Kelly et al, I buy my husks or hulls at the local CVS in the aisle where bowel drugs are sold.