FaceBook

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Topics / Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Author Topic: Describe your hypo  (Read 940 times)

Offline skb

• Metabolically Challenged
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2007
Describe your hypo
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:57:12 PM »
I'm sure each one of us has own hypo experience, false or not.
Back in 2010, I was on a met + glip combo pill when I learnt of LC and started experimenting with diet. I remember one day, about two hours after breakfast I touched 73, and experienced my first hypo symptoms. Suddenly all energy drained from my arms & legs. I was sitting at my desk, had to sign some document and could hardly reach for my pen which was in my shirt pocket. I called for some glucose biscuits, gobbled up a few, had some tea with sugar, and zip, I was at 254.

Later, at the forums, I learnt of false hypos. The lowest I've been with help of those pills is 58, and I didn't feel a thing. By then I was seriously low carbing. The lowest reading I have, since being off drugs is 71.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

Offline starsign

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Partner of T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2016
Re: Describe your hypo
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 03:49:10 AM »
I've posted somewhere earlier about this.
A month ago my partner dropped to 74 in the evening. He was very weak, sweaty & nauseous for an hour or so. That was a scary night that I cannot forget. The sweating part really scared the life out of me.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Offline Timewise

• BG Tracker
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:40:56 AM »
I recall last year when I began following LCHF I woke up one morning and while brushing my teeth and shaving, I noticed my hands were shaky.   I had not drank any coffee or had any thing to eat since dinner the night before.   I tested my BS and I was at 78, lower than I ever had been.   The only symptoms I have had since I was diagnosed with type 2 has been getting these 'shakes'!   I took a diabetic sugar pill and within a few minutes I felt fine.   

Since I have been on LCHF having reading in the 70's is fairly normal...and I no longer have any symptoms when I am in the 70's.  Funny how your body adjusts.....

Offline Kelly

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
I don't think I've ever had a hypo.  Sometimes I've had sweats and felt weak, but never thought to check my blood sugar.  So much more to learn, I will be more aware now.

Offline skb

• BG Tracker
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »
That sounds like a hypo to me. Do check when you feel like that.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Offline Grammabear

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 1
  • Diagnosis Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 09:37:53 AM »
I am hypo unaware and I don't feel a hypo until I am in the 40s or 50s.  By then it takes my body a lot longer to recover than it did when I was younger.  I also tend to 'panic' when I hit the 40s and want to eat everything residing in the refrigerator.  Not good practice.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.4% - June 2017
"Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing.".....Voltaire

Offline skb

• BG Tracker
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 08:51:17 PM »
40s can be scary. Knowing that you are hypo-unaware would no doubt induce panic. How do you feel when you are in the 40s or 50s ? What are your go-to residents of the refrigerator & what number do you typically end up with ?
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Offline Grammabear

• BG Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »
40s can be scary. Knowing that you are hypo-unaware would no doubt induce panic. How do you feel when you are in the 40s or 50s ? What are your go-to residents of the refrigerator & what number do you typically end up with ?

How do I feel when I am in the 40s (2.2) and 50s (2.7)?  I have an overwhelming urge to eat anything that I can find, sometimes quite literally.  I feel like if I don't get food of some kind that I will fade away.  My eyesight becomes blurry, I am lightheaded like I was going to faint and sometimes I can look straight at the glucose tablets on the counter and not even 'see' them.  My 'go to' residents of the refrigerator is orange juice or milk, preferrable 2% because it has more lactose I think.  My numbers after such a hypo can be anywhere from 130 (7.2) to 200 (11.11) and I most always feel very tired afterwards.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.4% - June 2017
"Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing.".....Voltaire

Offline skb

• BG Tracker
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 07:56:54 PM »
I've Liked your post not as a "Like your experience" but appreciate your reply & sharing with us. (Re fasting thread). Back in the day, my (false) hypo would mean a swing of 150-200 points. Anyone who has experienced those roller coasters knows the "tiredness" that follows. It's like a speeding truck hit you.
No meds since June 2011
Member of 5% A1c Club

Offline Grammabear

• BG Tracker
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 08:27:07 PM »
I am told that it is the adrenaline that happens during a hypo that causes the overwhelming tiredness that seems to follow a wild swing in blood glucose numbers.  At least now I understand why the healthcare professionals make such a fuss about people having hypos and to try and avoid it whenever possible.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.4% - June 2017