Author Topic: Hello  (Read 380 times)

Offline GranddadC

• PENDING
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2016
Hello
« on: July 15, 2016, 04:34:59 AM »
Just been diagnosed with Type 2.  Bit of a shock because no symptoms at all, just concerned by raised BP.
Wife and I now trying to find out all we can about the des ease and managing it.

Offline skb

• Metabolically Challenged
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2007
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:54:12 AM »
Hello GranddadC,

Welcome to the forum. You've come to right place. Do take some time reading our website & forum posts (links on top header). That will give you a lot to ponder upon. We are a relatively young forum established by a global set of members who have decades of experience with diabetes.

If you could share your numbers, like Blood Glucose, fasting or post prandials or the A1c, it would help us a lot in our replies to you.
 ~wcm~
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:00:56 AM by skb »
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

Offline Shanny

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 06:23:06 AM »
Welcome aboard, Granddad . . . it's a pleasure to meet you & welcome you to our community. You'll find all the answers here for controlling your high blood sugar with the safest methods, the least amount of collateral damage, the least expense.

You'll need a meter and lots of strips, so if you haven't gotten one yet, be sure to shop for one with cheaper strips, because good control requires a lot of testing. Once you gain control & learn to avoid the foods which cause high blood sugar, you can usually slack off on testing so much. This is all detailed on our eat-to-your-meter instructions - the backbone of our control method when combined with the low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating. If we don't allow our blood sugar to rise to begin with, we don't have to struggle to bring it back down, and less damage is done all the way around - we can look forward to living our lives with no complications from diabetes!

It may help you to know that high blood sugar causes damage to all our other organs and systems, and that damage can start at about 140 mg/dl or 7.8mmol/l in the measuring system used by Great Britain, so it's in our best interests to keep our levels as low as possible.

These facts may not come out in your doctor visits, because the medical community around the world is quite lenient about these things, but all of us here have played their game for many years, and have decided we'd much rather get healthy and live a long time without complications, than make our doctors happy with higher levels. It's our choice to make and it works.

Thank you for joining us!

Offline starsign

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Partner of T2
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:12:23 AM »
Hello granddadC,
Welcome from another newbie. I'm not a diabetic, my partner his. But these folks helped us bring down his number from the high 200s and 300s to low 100s in just a few weeks. Do read from the website (click on logo) & the forum. There is a wealth of information here.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Offline bigskygal

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 01:46:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum GranddadC!  So glad you found us!  Do the reading skb pointed out and the ones Shanny mentioned too.  Soon you will know more about how to manage your diabetes than your doctor does!  Really!!

There will be lots of testing in the beginning and a fairly radical change in diet, but if you do the work, not only will your blood sugar come into line your bp will too. Low carb/high fat is the best way to treat diabetes hands down. 

Again, welcome to the forum!
grammaB
T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%
6/2012 A1c 5.7%  In the 4% A1c club since July 2013. 12-2016 A1c 5.1%
No meds since 3/2015, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Offline Sweety

• BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Pre
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 06:57:55 PM »
Hello GrandDad
 ~wcm~
Diabetic ?

Offline rocky

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 01:13:53 AM »
hi granddad
welcome to the forum
this is the rigth place to be
 ~hsk~
My life is based on a true story.

Offline walkerwally1

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 1993
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 07:36:56 AM »
Hi GranddadC, welcome to the Pub.  The fact you are looking for information is a great start.  One of the best sources I know of is Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl.  Check it out at :
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
She is a diabetic that has done extensive research on diabetes and her website is a goldmine of information. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  75 YY
A1c June 2013   7.7%   Start of LCHF,    A1c 4.7% August, 2017
Living in Southern Sierras, California, USA
The biggest lie I tell myself is " I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it. "