FaceBook

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Topics / Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Author Topic: Favorite go-to dinner meal?  (Read 675 times)

Offline Rhiannon

• Show only replies by Rhiannon
  • BG Tracker
Favorite go-to dinner meal?
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »
I'm just curious.  If you are like me, you may have a favorite dinner meal or two that you make all the time.  For me, it's a variation of crack slaw.  Mine is cabbage and sausage, and I always have the necessary ingredients on hand.  I have this dish at least once every week and usually twice.

Now that the weather has cooled down, I am making a creamy bacon, broccoli and cheddar cheese soup about once a week also.  It is so easy and very filling!

Offline skb

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by skb
    • Metabolically Challenged
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2007
Re: Favorite go-to dinner meal?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 06:40:49 PM »
We eat standardised meals which are planned well in advance. It's usually eggs in the morning and meat/chicken/fish in the evenings. So we keep playing with the ingredients for change in taste.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

Offline rocky

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by rocky
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 07:00:15 PM »
For me, that would be a soup & some salad with lot of greens.
My life is based on a true story.

Offline starsign

• Show only replies by starsign
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Partner of T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 11:01:02 PM »
I grind meat and make some meatballs and keep them in the deep freeze. That would be our Go-To meal cooked any which way. Or kebabs if it is from a take-away.
Partner of a Diabetic T2

Offline walkerwally1

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by walkerwally1
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 1993
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »
Crack Slaw is my favorite also but I like my home made chili and then Zoodles (Zucchini noodles) with my home made spaghetti sauce.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.5% February, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone from California would be stupid enough to try to pass them"

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by Grammabear
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 1
  • Diagnosis Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 07:26:36 AM »
Crack Slaw is my favorite also but I like my home made chili and then Zoodles (Zucchini noodles) with my home made spaghetti sauce.

Wally - How do you fix the Zoodles so they don't have a lot of 'water' on the plate when you serve them?  I bought one of those "gadgets" that make the zoodles, and was not impressed with the moisture still left in the finished product.  Clearly I did something wrong, but I don't know how to fix it. 

I must admit I've not yet tried the crack slaw because I can't seem to find the right spot in our store where they sell the sauce that goes over the slaw.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  ~Maya Angelou

Offline walkerwally1

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by walkerwally1
  • BG Tracker
  • Diagnosis Year: 1993
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 08:36:42 AM »

Wally - How do you fix the Zoodles so they don't have a lot of 'water' on the plate when you serve them?  I bought one of those "gadgets" that make the zoodles, and was not impressed with the moisture still left in the finished product.  Clearly I did something wrong, but I don't know how to fix it. 

I must admit I've not yet tried the crack slaw because I can't seem to find the right spot in our store where they sell the sauce that goes over the slaw.

I cook the Zucchini noodles in butter in a frying pan and any water seems to evaporate so I haven't had that problem.

The only thing I leave out of Crack Slaw is the  Sriracha sauce as I don't do well with hot stuff.  Every thing else I have not had a problem.  The first time I made it I used ginger root but I found ginger paste in the market and that works better and is much easier.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.5% February, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone from California would be stupid enough to try to pass them"

Offline Shanny

• Show only replies by Shanny
  • BG Tracker
  • Diagnosis Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 11:01:28 AM »
I do the same as Wally - the sriracha sauce is too hot for us, so we leave it out. Otherwise, I always have soy sauce and tabasco in the cupboard, and I keep a jar of minced ginger in the fridge.

My quickest go-to meal is pork chops. I buy boneless pork loin roasts when they go on sale, slice them up into inch-thick chops and freeze two of these chops in a package. They thaw quickly and I just fry them in the skillet until nicely browned.  They even make a nice sandwich using low-carb sandwich rounds.

Offline bigskygal

• Show only replies by bigskygal
  • BG Tracker
  • Diagnosis Year: 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:03:24 PM »
I love sriracha and Sambal Olek!! I can eat them on a spoon!!

Crack slaw is a favorite of mine, nice and spicy!! A quick meal us a chop, pork, lamb or ribeye steak with sautéed cauliflower or zucchini with some garlic and onions.
grammaB
T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%
6/2012 A1c 5.7%  In the 4% A1c club since July 2013. 12-2016 A1c 5.1%. 6-2018 A1c 5.3%.
No meds since 3/2015, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
I do the same as Wally - the sriracha sauce is too hot for us, so we leave it out. Otherwise, I always have soy sauce and tabasco in the cupboard, and I keep a jar of minced ginger in the fridge.

My quickest go-to meal is pork chops. I buy boneless pork loin roasts when they go on sale, slice them up into inch-thick chops and freeze two of these chops in a package. They thaw quickly and I just fry them in the skillet until nicely browned.  They even make a nice sandwich using low-carb sandwich rounds.

Can you tell me where I should be looking in a grocery store for minced ginger or ginger paste?  I looked for the sauce and gave up because the only variety I found was the "hot" stuff and hubby likes it - I don't.  I made this crack slaw tonight and the only regret I have now is that there isn't much left over for another meal    :(

Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  ~Maya Angelou

Offline Shanny

• BG Tracker
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »
Over here there are jars of chopped & minced stuff like garlic, shallots, jalapeños, etc., in the produce sections . . . this is my chopped ginger. Mine happens to be Christopher Ranch brand, but there are others like Spice World.

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »
Over here there are jars of chopped & minced stuff like garlic, shallots, jalapeños, etc., in the produce sections . . . this is my chopped ginger. Mine happens to be Christopher Ranch brand, but there are others like Spice World.

Thanks Shanny.  We do have a section in our store where they have jars of minced garlic, but maybe I need to look closer now that I have new 'spectacles' that allow me to see far and close up.  Talk about getting old.,,,,
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018

Offline Shanny

• BG Tracker
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 02:19:17 PM »
This thread got me jonesing for crack slaw & I realized I had 3/4 head of cabbage in the fridge needing to be used up. I upped the seasonings as I usually do - making it hotter & sweeter - and yep! There'll be no leftovers!  ~yum~ 

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 07:40:14 PM »
This thread got me jonesing for crack slaw & I realized I had 3/4 head of cabbage in the fridge needing to be used up. I upped the seasonings as I usually do - making it hotter & sweeter - and yep! There'll be no leftovers!  ~yum~

Do you find it works better when you use freshly chopped cabbage in place of the bagged variety the store sells?  I also thought that it might taste good if there was more cabbage in my crack slaw.  In addition to loving the crack slaw, anyone that uses insulin should be careful.  I had no idea on how much insulin to use for this dish, so I "guesstimated" and it was wrong.  I ended up with a low of 38 (2.1) and it took a bit of orange juice, 3-4 glucose tablets and 4 ritz crackers before I could get it up again.  That was a lesson well learned. :o
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018

Offline Shanny

• BG Tracker
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 08:59:33 PM »
I just don't normally have the bagged cabbage mix, but a head of cabbage keeps a long time in the fridge, so I'm more likely to have that.

And I've known for a long time that cabbage will actually drop my blood sugar. I guess because it's so fibrous . . . one whole cup of shredded raw cabbage is only 4g of carbs, and there's 2g of fiber.