FaceBook

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Topics / Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Author Topic: Ginger root  (Read 672 times)

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by Grammabear
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 1
  • Diagnosis Year: 2003
Ginger root
« on: November 11, 2017, 12:41:45 PM »
The grocery store where we shop sells some unusual items in the fresh produce department.  Today I saw fresh ginger root and I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to use it and or how to store it?  Thanks in advance.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  ~Maya Angelou

Offline bigskygal

• Show only replies by bigskygal
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2012
Re: Ginger root
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
I use fresh ginger often. I break a piece off a larger piece in the store. I use it for all Asian style recipes. Slice it and mince it up for stir fry, it is great in crack slaw! You can also grate it with a microplane. I store it in the refrigerator in an air tight container. I get smallish pieces so it is always fresh.
grammaB
T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%
6/2012 A1c 5.7%  In the 4% A1c club since July 2013. 12-2016 A1c 5.1%. 6-2018 A1c 5.3%.
No meds since 3/2015, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Offline rocky

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by rocky
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »
I use fresh ginger often. I break a piece off a larger piece in the store. I use it for all Asian style recipes. Slice it and mince it up for stir fry, it is great in crack slaw! You can also grate it with a microplane. I store it in the refrigerator in an air tight container. I get smallish pieces so it is always fresh.

That’s how it’s done here as well. Ginger is used a lot in our food. There are many excellent health benefits is what we have learnt traditionally.
My life is based on a true story.

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:17:30 AM »
I observed a lady at the grocery store yesterday pick up a pretty large piece of ginger root, break off a smaller piece and put the end near her nose and smell it.  I did so want to know why she did that, but of course I didn't intrude and ask her.  I'm assuming she had purchased ginger root before.  I did purchase a smaller size piece and hoped to use it in crack slaw today.  My husband absolutely loves crack slaw and he requests it often.  I am lucky if there are leftovers.

Rocky & grammaB ~ Thank you for your input.  I will look forward to trying this new food.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  ~Maya Angelou

Offline walkerwally1

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by walkerwally1
  • BG Tracker
  • Diagnosis Year: 1993
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »
I really like ginger and the first time I used it I bought the root and grated it and that was OK.  But then I am a lazy cook and found ginger available already ground and in a tube in our produce section.  Also Cilantro and a couple of others.  It works for me.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.5% February, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone from California would be stupid enough to try to pass them"

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »
I really like ginger and the first time I used it I bought the root and grated it and that was OK.  But then I am a lazy cook and found ginger available already ground and in a tube in our produce section.  Also Cilantro and a couple of others.  It works for me.

Wally - You're so funny in calling yourself a 'lazy cook'.  But, seriously, join the club as I am very lazy cook also.  There are so many strange looking items in the produce section of the store where we shop, and I am embarrassed to know that they are complegely foreign to me.  For example, the store introduced a whole huge selection of peppers to appeal to the Hispanic population.  All the Hispanic folks seem to be delighted to find these items.  I just wish they would provide brief leaflets on how to use these things for those of us who have inquiring minds.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018

Offline bigskygal

• BG Tracker
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:34:07 PM »
Wally, I buy those tubes of spices too. I always have garlic, ginger, cilantro, red chili pepper, & basil on hand. I also keep tomato paste, gochujang and anchovy paste in tubes on hand. That way I can make just about anything that my taste buds crave.  :)

Grammabear, when you see a new item at the store, write the name down and check with "Chef" Google on how to use it!
grammaB
6/2012 A1c 5.7%  In the 4% A1c club since July 2013. 12-2016 A1c 5.1%. 6-2018 A1c 5.3%.

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:14:58 AM »
Thanks for the tip on Chef Google.  I have noticed that our market also has these tubes of delectable spices and whatever you call them for sale.  Do these tubes keep in the refrigerator for quite a while?  As soon as I get my kitchen in working condition, then I will try the ginger root in my crack slaw.  This crack slaw stuff is definitely well named as we could eat it OFTEN at our house and it is good reheated IF you are lucky enough to have leftovers.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018

Offline bigskygal

• BG Tracker
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
Yes, they last quite a while in the refrigerator.  I usually use one up in about a month, but have kept others longer.
grammaB

Offline Carbcrazydog

• Show only replies by Carbcrazydog
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:21:58 AM »
I observed a lady at the grocery store yesterday pick up a pretty large piece of ginger root, break off a smaller piece and put the end near her nose and smell it.  I did so want to know why she did that, but of course I didn't intrude and ask her.  I
Rocky & grammaB ~ Thank you for your input.  I will look forward to trying this new food.

She was probably checking over how fresh it is. When the root gets stale, it is not as fragnant. The more it is fragnant, the fresher it is. We use it everyday in making tea. In India it is called "adrak wali chai" and people are crazy about it.

From the part of India where i come from, a girl used to make this tea whenever she was meeting her groom for the first time and it used to be an important factor to be considered to fix an alliance. The tea better taste right!  :P

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 06:37:02 AM »
I observed a lady at the grocery store yesterday pick up a pretty large piece of ginger root, break off a smaller piece and put the end near her nose and smell it.  I did so want to know why she did that, but of course I didn't intrude and ask her.  I

She was probably checking over how fresh it is. When the root gets stale, it is not as fragnant. The more it is fragnant, the fresher it is. We use it everyday in making tea. In India it is called "adrak wali chai" and people are crazy about it.

From the part of India where i come from, a girl used to make this tea whenever she was meeting her groom for the first time and it used to be an important factor to be considered to fix an alliance. The tea better taste right!  :P

Do you have a special way for making the tea you enjoy using ginger root?  I have watched a YouTube video, but I am not sure if they made it the way you would make it in India.  I am interested to learn proper way.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018

Offline Carbcrazydog

• Show only replies by Carbcrazydog
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 07:07:07 AM »
How i make it is as below:

Half cup water + Half cup milk (This can differ based on the consistency you like). Put this mix on the burner and add 1 spoon tea leaves and 1 spoon sugar. A lot of people who like it sweet use two spoons (tsp) sugar. Bring to boil and let it boil for 3-4 min. Add 1 tsp of freshly grounded ginger root and 1 pinch of tea masala (optional). Let it again boil for 3-4 min. The color should be dark orange. Ready to serve. Strain the tea so that all the tea leaves, ginger etc dont come in your mouth.

My mom adds fresh tea leaves to it too.

Tea masala that i use: https://www.ebay.in/itm/272495498496?aff_source=Sok-Goog

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 06:13:52 AM »
How i make it is as below:

Half cup water + Half cup milk (This can differ based on the consistency you like). Put this mix on the burner and add 1 spoon tea leaves and 1 spoon sugar. A lot of people who like it sweet use two spoons (tsp) sugar. Bring to boil and let it boil for 3-4 min. Add 1 tsp of freshly grounded ginger root and 1 pinch of tea masala (optional). Let it again boil for 3-4 min. The color should be dark orange. Ready to serve. Strain the tea so that all the tea leaves, ginger etc dont come in your mouth.

My mom adds fresh tea leaves to it too.

Tea masala that i use: https://www.ebay.in/itm/272495498496?aff_source=Sok-Goog

It seems that most of our grocery stores sell tea in those little bags which I know isn't quite the same as loose tea.  I will have to research an online source for loose tea.  Thank you for explaining proper way to make ginger tea.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018

Offline Skhilled

• Show only replies by Skhilled
    • Docskillz
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: None
  • Diagnosis Year: None
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 07:54:22 AM »
You should be able to freeze fresh ginger tightly wrapped in plastic wrap for at least 6 months. You can also grated it into teaspoon sized potions on a baking sheet and freeze them. The wrap them in plastic wrap to easily control the portions that you unfreeze and use only what you need with little waste, if any. ;)

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
You should be able to freeze fresh ginger tightly wrapped in plastic wrap for at least 6 months. You can also grated it into teaspoon sized potions on a baking sheet and freeze them. The wrap them in plastic wrap to easily control the portions that you unfreeze and use only what you need with little waste, if any. ;)

Keeping in mind that this was my first experience with fresh ginger root - I bought a small piece of the fresh variety at the store.  Came home and peeled the first layer of skin off and then grated about a teaspoon size portion for my recipe.  Then I wrapped the remainder of the fresh root in paper towel, placed that in a sandwich bag and put it in the refrigerator.  I used it several weeks in a row and then noticed that a small portion of the fresh root was turning brown and definitely looked unappetizing.  I figured it was no longer viable and threw it away.  Now, I need to get another fresh piece and try your method of freezing appropriate size portions so as to not waste it.  Thank you for your thoughts.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018