FaceBook

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Topics / Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Author Topic: What happens when Patients know more than their Doctors ?  (Read 335 times)

Offline walkerwally1

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by walkerwally1
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 1993
What happens when Patients know more than their Doctors ?
« on: December 16, 2017, 08:04:56 AM »
I thought some would be interested in this.  The study reported in the BMJ was about T-1 patients but I think it applies to all. 

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/11/e003583

The conflict comes when the patient has to interact with doctors or hospitals that just do not understand, or refuse to understand, that there are reasons to listen to their patients and try to understand what they are saying.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.5% February, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone from California would be stupid enough to try to pass them"

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by Grammabear
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 1
  • Diagnosis Year: 2003
Re: What happens when Patients know more than their Doctors ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »
I have found that for the most part the patient has to "play the game" by the medical communities rules.  My doctor is supportive of lchf and Paleo, but because of the healthcare system she works for - she isn't allowed to advise me on either of the above ways of eating.  Yes, she can and does advise me "off the record", but never officially.  She also doesn't advise me on diabetes self management even though she has an MD behind her name.  She knows a lot about diabetes, but not too much about tweaking basal and bolus rates.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  ~Maya Angelou

Offline Shanny

• Show only replies by Shanny
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 10:56:57 AM »
I know my doc paid attention & took notes when I went on LCHF, because he later used it himself to lose weight (and possibly his diabetic wife uses it now too). What I don't know is whether he recommends it to other patients.

Offline bigskygal

• Show only replies by bigskygal
  • BG Tracker
  • Diagnosis Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »
I am positive my pcp does not mention lc/hf to any of his diabetic patients. I am the only one that controlled my diabetes with lc/hf. On the other hand, my Oncologist fully supports it and actually follows it himself. I don't know if he recommends it to other patients though.
grammaB
T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%
6/2012 A1c 5.7%  In the 4% A1c club since July 2013. 12-2016 A1c 5.1%. 6-2018 A1c 5.3%.
No meds since 3/2015, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Offline walkerwally1

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by walkerwally1
  • BG Tracker
  • Diagnosis Year: 1993
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »
People may be familiar with Dr. Eric Westman who is the director of the Duke Lifestyle Medicine Clinic at Duke University.  He is an advocate of low carb for the treatment of obesity and diabetes.  I have seen several presentations from him and he is a co-author of the New Atkins Diet along with Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney.  In one interview he was asked how he got started into using low carb as a treatment and he said that it was his patients that got him started.  Two of his patients were not happy with the conventional methods he was using and they discovered low carb and tried it and it worked.  The point is that he listened to his patients and found out that this was a far better way to treat the problem that what he was taught.  This is now how he runs the clinic.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.5% February, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone from California would be stupid enough to try to pass them"