FaceBook

BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Topics / Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Author Topic: Continuous Glucose Monitors  (Read 157 times)

Offline skb

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by skb
    • Metabolically Challenged
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2007
Continuous Glucose Monitors
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »
This study gives a thumbs up for CGMs. Our user members would love to read and add their comments.

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/research-and-discoveries-articles/continuous-glucose-monitors-proven-cost-effective
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

Offline Tamagno

• Show only replies by Tamagno
  • BG Tracker
Re: Continuous Glucose Monitors
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 01:34:18 AM »
Thanks, SKB, an interesting article/study.

Judging by comments from Dexcom reps as well as their new phone server menu they’re experiencing a pretty big growth rate as CGMs become covered by Medicare.

Definitely, especially when paired with their mobile apps, it reduces the number of severe highs and lows experienced previously. While I’ve never calculated the cost, I’m guessing that even one episode of DKA with a Hospital visit is more expensive than their calculated six-month cost of CGM usage including the initial buy-in cost.

Medicare still will not allow usage of the mobile apps for some reason. It crosses my mind in reading this article that they may be fearful that they also will become responsible for mobile phone bills.

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by Grammabear
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 1
  • Diagnosis Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:37:31 AM »
The study is small if it looked at 158 people.  It would have been more valuable if it had looked at people with an insulin pump also.  I find the cgm valuable during the nighttime hours when it alerts me if my glucose levels are going low.  It is also valuable in monitoring the basal rates on my insulin pump.  Medicare is new to the game of covering the cost of cgm and I also wish they would allow the use of apps on a smart phone.  Maybe they will someday?
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.5% - March 2018
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  ~Maya Angelou

Offline Tamagno

• Show only replies by Tamagno
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 01:31:37 AM »
Grammabear, with so many large firms wanting in on the health monitor and CGM business (including Apple) I’d imagine there will be more push on Medicare...

Offline walkerwally1

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by walkerwally1
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 1993
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:03:22 AM »
I think that a CGM would be valuable for a T-2 also but now it is considered not necessary.  We take a snapshot with a test maybe 3-4 times a day but really have no idea what is happening 95% of the time.  I think insurance companies are more and more looking at prevention as a cost savings.  I know Anthem has a new plan that requires people to follow certain requirements to be healthier or the cost goes up a significant amount.  I don't know if it is a good thing to have the insurance to call the shots but maybe.  Medicare has always had the stance that they are only interested in treatment and not in prevention. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.5% February, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone from California would be stupid enough to try to pass them"

Offline skb

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by skb
    • Metabolically Challenged
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 07:50:54 PM »
I think that a CGM would be valuable for a T-2 also but now it is considered not necessary.  We take a snapshot with a test maybe 3-4 times a day but really have no idea what is happening 95% of the time.

That’s where systems like Libre or the new patches being developed would come in handy. I agree that continuous monitoring would be a welcome step towards better control.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged