BG Converters

Diabetes Calculators
Blood Glucose equals

A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Topics / Posts

Amazon Prime Pantry

Temp Converter

oF o

Author Topic: Price sticker "shock".....  (Read 87 times)

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by Grammabear
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 1
  • Diagnosis Year: 2003
Price sticker "shock".....
« on: August 23, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »
My esteemed insurance deems it necessary for me to change analog insulins from Novolog to Humalog.  When did I learn this?  When I went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription for a 3 month supply.  The clerk sashayed up to the counter and "Can I help you?"  "Yes please, I'm here to pick up my prescription" and gave her my name.  After about 10 minutes she finally found my prescription (in the pharmacy refrigerator-where all insulin is kept).  She plopped the bag down on the counter with her hands on either side of the bag - "Are you aware of the co-pay on this prescription?"  Me:  "What co-pay, I use my insulin in a pump and I also have a secondary insurance so there is no co-pay."  Then  she informed me that Trump changed Medicare so that Medicare doesn't pay for insulin.  I asked her to please speak with the Pharmacist.  The clerk snatched the insulin bag from the counter and went to speak to the pharmacist.  Apparently the pharmacist 'set her straight' as she came back with the insulin bag, ripped the bill off the bag and said "Yes, there is no copay this time."

When I got home I looked inside the bag for the receipt.  It is a good thing that Walgreens is consistently making mistakes along this line of billing.  If I had not spoken up and said "There is no co-pay" they would have gladly accept my check for $3574.59 or $324.96 USD per vial.  Someone at Eli Lily and Novo Nordisk is making a lot of money off the backs of people like me who use this life saving medication.  End of rant..................
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.3% - Sept. 2018
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  ~Maya Angelou

Online Shanny

• Show only replies by Shanny
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2009
Re: Price sticker "shock".....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »
I'd say that clerk really wanted to hide the fact that she didn't know jack about your transaction. Everybody needs to learn your trick of speaking with the pharmacist every time!

Offline walkerwally1

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by walkerwally1
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 1993
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »
My RX insurance requires me to use Walgreens or mail order.  I have had to question the clerk at the pharmacy before because they have not known how to enter the insurance.  It is the same at other pharmacies also so Walgreens is not alone.  These people are usually paid minimum wage and there is a turn over so they don't always know how to do some things.  It really pays to know what your RX cost and what you should be paying.
Insulin has been around for a long time so I am amazed that there are not generic brands available. 
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.7% September, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Offline bigskygal

• Show only replies by bigskygal
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: T2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
I am so glad I don't use Medicare for rx's!! I pay $2 for any and all rx's no questions asked. It is mail order so I have to wait a few days for delivery, but I can do that. If I need a rx immediately I fill it locally and submit to my secondary insurer.
grammaB
T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5%
6/2012 A1c 5.7%  In the 4% A1c club since July 2013. 12-2016 A1c 5.1%. 6-2018 A1c 5.3%.
No meds since 3/2015, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Offline Tamagno

• Show only replies by Tamagno
  • BG Tracker
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:14:42 AM »
Definitely you’ve got to watch your insurance, pharmacies and doctor bills. I see constant errors all over the place. At that, both my commercial insurance and Medicare put out explanations of benefits that are completely incomprehensible.

Why there’s no generic insulin is something of a mystery even with the pharmaceutical companies and I’ve never seen an answer.

Offline skb

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by skb
    • Metabolically Challenged
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 05:03:28 AM »
Insurance practices differ from country to country. In India, I have a policy that covers surgery and/or hospitalisation upto a certain sum. I guess premiums are low as well. I pay anually something like $ 250/-. We’d also discussed the subject earlier

https://www.diabetic.pub/forum/index.php/topic,190.msg1541.html#msg1541
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

Offline Grammabear

• VETERAN
    • Show only replies by Grammabear
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: Type 1
  • Diagnosis Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »
I'd say that clerk really wanted to hide the fact that she didn't know jack about your transaction. Everybody needs to learn your trick of speaking with the pharmacist every time!

I think you're right Shanny.  This particular Walgreens heavily advertises that they can fill prescriptions under Medicare part B both in the local paper and on local television stations.  And yet, when people bring them a prescription to be filled under part B that can't seem to get it right each and every time.  To complicate matters a bit further the people that work there are anything but friendly and I always dread having to pick up my insulin and test strips.  Walgreens has a monopoly in this part of the country so it isn't financially feasible for other pharmacies to bother with Medicare insulin or test strips.  And because they aren't friendly and I need insulin to survive, I just "zip the lip" and take my prescriptions once they get the price right and go home.  Walgreens is not a place to save money unless they are having a huge sale.
Type 1, April 2003
Dexcom CGM Sep 2007
Tslim pump Oct 2015
A1C 6.3% - Sept. 2018
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  ~Maya Angelou

Online Shanny

• Show only replies by Shanny
  • BG Tracker
  • Diabetes Type: 2
  • Diagnosis Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 12:12:10 PM »
Sure makes me thankful our pharmacy is a little 'one-horse' establishment & the owner lives locally!