A1c to Avg. BG equals

Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Exercise improves Glucose Tolerance

Started by skb, February 11, 2019, 07:06:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

"In contrast to the negative effects of many adipokines, our study identified transforming growth factor beta 2 (TGF-beta 2) as an adipokine released from adipose tissue (fat) in response to exercise that actually improves glucose tolerance,"

https://www.joslin.org/news/Protein-Released-from-Fat-Following-Exercise-Improves-Glucose-Tolerance-and-Health.html
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

walkerwally1

I don't see anywhere in the article where they define what type of exercise they are referring to.  Just "exercise" is not much of a help.  Is it aerobic, and if so how much and what intensity, is it resistance, HIIT ?  There is a difference and nowhere do they say just what exercise they are talking about.  My exercise of choice is walking but I have never seen any effect on my blood sugar from that.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.7% September, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

skb

Wally,
Have you carried out any before / after tests ? I did, for different exercises, duration, intensity, timing of exercise vs different types of food and I found my BG numbers responsive to the variables.
No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

Tamagno

My own experience is that both aerobic and anaerobic exercise lowers glucose although the latter temporarily increases it. Intensity plus duration matters, and it takes roughly a half hour of each to produce that effect. If actually in an aerobic state without anaerobic exercise, there's less of the temporary increase and the decrease happens a couple of hours afterward.
Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G5 CGM.

walkerwally1

No, I haven't really done any testing that would be meaningful, just a casual observation.  My point was that it was a shame that the article was not specific as to what kind of exercise and the intensity they used.  Walking could be just a casual stroll for 5 min. or a quick pace for 20 min. and both are exercise but one is surely going to have a different effect than the other.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.7% September, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Help Us by shopping from link below.