Recent Posts

Temp Converter

oF o

Don’t cheat on keto

Started by skb, April 07, 2019, 07:10:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skb

April 07, 2019, 07:10:15 pm Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 07:16:53 pm by skb
QuoteThe often embraced 'cheat day' is a common theme in many diets and the popular ketogenic diet is no exception. But new research from UBC's Okanagan campus says that just one 75-gram dose of glucose--the equivalent a large bottle of soda or a plate of fries--while on a high fat, low carbohydrate diet can lead to damaged blood vessels.

https://news.ok.ubc.ca/2019/03/27/on-the-keto-diet-ditch-the-cheat-day-says-ubc-study/

No meds since June 2011
Controlled by Diet & Exercise
Member of 5% A1c Club

Blog : Metabolically Challenged

bigskygal

With any dedicated diet you have to stick with it all the way. "Cheat days" just set you back to the beginning again and again  and restart all the cravings that you have worked to beat down. Maybe if you are on just a weight loss diet, you can get away with a "cheat" but if you are trying to control blood sugar there is no cheating as it is really detrimental to your overall health.
grammaB
T-2 dx 2/2012 FBG 243 A1c 9.5% 6/2012 A1c 5.7% 
In the 4% A1c club since July 2013.
12-2016 A1c 5.1%. 6-2018 A1c 5.3%.
No meds since 3/2015, diet controlled.  Minimal exercise.

Tamagno

Those "little" cheats never work out well and most always lead to more and more frequent lapses, regardless of the discipline.

In the end, best just not to give in - often as not, doing something else for just a short while relieves the urge...

Using T-Slim pump and Dexcom G5 CGM.

walkerwally1

I agree.  I think that a "cheat day" is a really bad idea when trying to control blood sugar.  If losing weight is the only goal it probably does not hurt.
Type 2 since 1993.  Control with Metformin and LCHF diet.  76 YY
A1c 4.7% September, 2018
Living in Mojave Desert, California, USA
"The 50-50-90 Rule.  Anytime you have a 50-50% chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong"

Sweety

Ask me. I'm suffering the results of cheat days or rather months. :'(
Diabetic ?

Help Us by shopping from link below.